Monday, September 15, 2014

2014 09 15: "You are the first ones I've let in."



Sept. 15, 2014

Hey again,
      A lot has happened over a short period of time.  We went from what I thought was being busy to being too busy for us to stay together most of the time.  When this happens as missionaries we can go on splits with worthy Melchizedek Priesthood holders and they act as our companions until we return with our assigned companion.  Lately we have been so busy though that even with these splits, which happen about every other day, we have still had to let many important things go undone.  It is great to see that this has happened though as we thought that when all the people went away after the summer ended that so would all our work.  Fortunately for us though it seems that the opposite has happened and we are now busier than ever.

     With the summer ending, many of the people we were teaching left the area, but in the new fall season we have found many that have come out of the woodwork and blown in with the eastern wind.  One such person is a woman that we brought back to the church close to when I first came to the Cape.  Back then she told us, "I have seen many missionaries in the past but you are the first ones I've let in."  I think that is a good example of how the Lord prepares people, but I still do not understand the workings of the Lord.  Near the end of the summer this woman, because of certain circumstances, became the legal guardian of her granddaughter.  This granddaughter upon her first visit to church was filled with the Spirit of the Lord.  The Spirit testified to her that this was something that was good.   Since then she has been meeting with us to prepare herself for baptism.  If the story sounds too good to be true it gets better.  She has been inviting friends to church and to activities at church and they have also felt that Spirit of the Lord in both the church services and also in the church activities.  This coming week we have the opportunity to testify to this young woman and her friend, who we have met many times, about God’s marvelous Plan of Happiness for us.  It is for this reason that I still do not understand all the workings of the Lord by our small and simple acts.

     On a slightly different note, my companion and I have had a very interesting experience happen.  We both are now the Branch Young Men's President and Scout Masters.  And here I thought that I was safe from other callings while on my mission.  We have had to do a lot of stuff to fulfill these callings that I never thought I would do on my mission.  This coming weekend my companion and I will be going on our first camping trip as Scout Masters.  The following week we will be taking the youth to the temple as they go to do baptisms for the dead.  I have now discovered how much I have learned about managing from my Mission as we take on this new assignment.
     Well that is all the time I have for today.  I hope that you always take strength in the Lord in all that you do.  Turn to him both in times of trial and also in times of joy.  Make Him a part of all your life.

Elder Erb

No comments:

Post a Comment