Saturday, August 24, 2013

May 6, 2013



May 6, 2013
Hola familia y amigos,

     How’s my Spanish?  There is a reason I ask and I will get to that in a moment, but first I need to start off by saying that it has been a crazy week.  I guess the Lord decided that I needed more practice driving and the reason I say this is because I have mostly spent the entire week driving really long distances.  And, on a semi, related note I have good news and bad news.  So the bad news is I am not training anymore ;C because my greenie had to go home for a while.  Now that the bad news is out of the way, on to the good news.  So the good news is my new companion Elder B....
     Elder B... is a very seasoned missionary that will have been out for a year in a week.  The reason I asked how my Spanish was is because he is a Spanish elder who is from Honduras.  He is super awesome and funny.  I feel a little bad though because he got taken out of the Spanish program to be my companion.  I told him that if he teaches me Spanish then he will get back into the Spanish program.
     This past Saturday Elder B...'s Spanish was really useful in the baptism of V....  V... is a nine year old girl who speaks both English and Spanish fluently.  The reason my companion’s Spanish helped was because her father who was performing the ordinance does not understand English very well.  It really helped to calm him down when my companion was able to speak with him in his language.
     Alright now it’s time for a random funny story we just had.  Because of all the driving that had to be done we are now drastically over on our car mileage for this month even though it is only the sixth day of the month.  With this in mind, we decided to do some street contacting, which means we were walking around talking to people on the street.  While we were doing this, some guy calls to us from his window and tells us that he wants to talk with us about religion.  We go to his door and he knew exactly who we were.  This is strange because everyone mistakes us for the Jehovah's Witnesses.  Anyway the first thing he asks us is about how we as a religion view gays.  Now you might be thinking that it all went downhill from here, somehow it did not, but it turned into a good discussion about God's plan for us and we talked about a lot of key doctrinal points.  He said that he likes the things that we said and that we should come back some other time to talk with him.  I hope that he meant what he said by liking the message, instead of just liking the messengers.
     Well thank you for supporting me in the cause as the Lord’s servant.  I thank you for your prayers concerning me and my companions in this work.  I hope that you can all have this same joy as you spread the gospel in your own areas.

Elder Erb

No comments:

Post a Comment